I Battle MS...What's Your Super Power?


Yesterday, I spent nearly 2 hours on the phone with the insurance company. They are threatening to cancel my insurance over an error that they made. Since I have MS, Fibromyalgia, GERD, and Asthma, insurance companies have and will do anything to drop me from my insurance policy. I have to pay higher premiums and opt for the platinum plans in order to get the care that I need. Yes, I am on disability, but you do not become eligible for Medicare until you have been on disability for two years! The Affordable Healthcare Act has dropped my premium payment from $600 to around $250 for a plan that just covers me!

The article below demonstrates just how pricey it is to live with MS. As I pleaded with my insurance company that I couldn't afford to lose my coverage, I had to remind them that my monthly injections of Copaxone cost $4,000! Even she was in shock, while I was in tears. These immunosuppressant drugs only cut my likelihood of developing further brain lesions by 30%. That said, that 30% enables me to be here for my family. Without medication, I wouldn't be able to function. I swallow a handful of pills 3 times a day and it only prevents my disease from developing at a faster pace. Then I consider all the money spent on doctor's visits, prescriptions, premiums, and cower at the thought of what I will be able to provide for my family. I am not even eligible for independent life insurance. Keep in mind that I am a certified teacher with a master's degree in education and a background in advertising and mass media. Not being able to provide for my family never crossed my mind.

Without the support of my family and husband, I would be somewhere homeless. MS is the #1 disease in the U.S. that causes families to enter into bankruptcy due to the longevity and many adjacent disabilities that it causes. To add insult to injury, the disease gets progressively worst. I never know when I might wake up and can't see or move my legs. I could be enjoying my dinner and lose the ability to swallow. That is why depression and anxiety often accompany this horrid disease, BUT GOD!!!

This disease, no matter how bad it gets, has brought me closer to God, my family, and has given me an opportunity to use my gifts in different ways. Before the disease, I was arrogant, overworked, and lived for my career. I took my many 'small' gifts that God had given me for granted. Gifts like my spiritual relationship with God, my family, my friends, all used to be on the back burner. Don't get me wrong, in my mind I was working hard for them, even though I had no time to enjoy them. I THANK GOD for putting me in a situation where I had to slow down and appreciate ALL that God had and continues to provided me. Even though I tackle these high medical costs every month, my salvation was worth it and then some. That's why I LOVE being a part of PHATSkinny Chic!

Health has become one of my top priorities and this blog helps me to live. To fight for my family. To seek the kingdom! It holds me accountable and gives me a voice to share my journey on a new trajectory. I have the opportunity to recreate myself. To become a new creation in Christ. Yes, there are days when I get down, but with God on my side I continue to rise!

After reading the article below, please consider donating to the Race to Erase MS. The link is also provided below. Thank you for taking the time to learn more about MS. Awareness brings us closer to a cure and there are thousands upon thousands of people who desperately need one.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-04-24/health-the-price-of-multiple-sclerosis-drugs-only-goes-up

https://www.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=1113590&supId=422666786

Comments

Popular Posts